Monday, August 04, 2008

Milestone Alert: Skinny Jack Can ROLL!!

He's pretty thin-- maybe that makes it easy for him to whip his little body around. In any case, he's a roller!! From tummy to back, in case you were wondering. Then he needs hep getting bak to his tummy, and he gets more than a little annoyed if that help is not forthcoming.

Here he is chilling on the beautiful quilt that Bomma made him. Harry was pleased to learn that he also had a beautiful baby quilt, and he lounged on his as well.


He also needed a pacifier, which he chewed on like a cigar.


Hi. Let's talk about the fact that it is AUGUST. Um, where did July go?

I have 3 weeks to get my class totally ready and buy some non-mom clothes. Also, maybe a bag that is not Vera Bradley because I feel like the VB bag makes you look like you probably wear really large underpants, you know? Oh. And I need to work on that little thing-- what was it called? Sounds like "More painful than med-free childbirth... ." Oh Yeah! My dissertation.

Sure, sure, I won't be in the classroom this year, but I still have to work 2 afternoons a week (the inhumanity, I know) and find time to re-write-- and all this rewriting has to be done without the aid of giant Panera cinnamon rolls because I am not pregnant.

Oh-- one more teensy weensy problem: What the eff is jack going to EAT when I am away from him for 6 hours twice a week? (I actually work 3 days a week, but one of those days, Jack is coming with me to feed and help me revise-- he's such a critic.) I mean, Harry will probably have mac and cheese and bananas, but Jack seems too young for such fare. I really don't want to pump because seriously. I screwed up my hormones and my sanity in ways you cannot imagine last time with my Pump in Style (a note: that bag does NOT look like a stylish purse, and I don't care who says it does). Part of that could have been the mini-pill, but still. I hated the pump (and it hated me, too). I may have to pump a little the 2 days I am in the office, but I'm not going to save it, freeze it, or count the ounces, all of which amounts to a one-way ticket to crazy town. So, I mean, duh, I guess he'll eat some GoodStart, but so far, no good. Even though he has an Adiri bottle that looks creepily like a boob (and, like a breast, is BPA-free). I also have some Enfamil in the cabinet-- do you think I should also try that? Would he have a preference for one brand over another? And does it really matter? In the end, won't he just eat if he's hungry?

Bah. My job is amazing, and I love it, but it would be slightly easier if I could take Jack with me everyday. And please-- I know. I am lucky to only work 3 afternoons a week and luckier still that Jack gets to come one of those days. Also, I have the best insurance benefits in the country. BUT part of me wants Jack to be strapped to my person 24/7 for the first 12 months of his life. Those 12 hours a week are going to be really long without his head to sniff and his cheeks to kiss and his tummy to zerbert. Plus, it has been so long since I have had two hands to use for whatever I want, I am not sure what I will do with them...


See, he's driving already. Next thing I know he'll be married.

5 comments:

  1. AJU5 had Infamil when she was a few days old and in the NICU/Special care nursery. At that age, i don't know how much she noticed the difference between that and my milk.

    Also, he will be 4 months old, so he might be old enough to start some cereal (I did with AJU5 when she was 4 months old), so that is an option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumping will make you crazy!! Right before I gave up on pumping at 10 months I had Ryan bring me my pump at 1:00 in the morning (he was up because he was finishing his dissertation) so I could squeeze out a few extra ounces and Charlie wouldn't have to eat one single drop of formula. What the hell was I thinking? Gah! Your job sounds so perfect, I am really jealous! Of course if I could get my act together and fill out some applications I might be able to do something similar. Funny how those department chairs aren't out combing the suburbs for TA talent, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:08 PM

    Pump once a day while at work without Jack. Don't freeze & don't worry about the amount. Add formula to his bottles while you are away, if needed, to get the correct amount.

    It will work out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, pumping is the WORST!! I had to pump exclusively for the first month of E's life, and HELLO, PPD! It is hell.

    He's skinny--any chance you can just tuck him in your shirt and take him with you to work? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:52 PM

    love the pictures, but Jack is so much cuter than his pictures show..Harry looks great, and so does all the family....Bomma

    ReplyDelete