Friday, November 14, 2008

Harry-- remember when he was the only apple of my eye?

I just realized that most of the pictures on my camera and most of the recent posts on this blog feature this guy. Prune Face.


It used to be that everything revolved around--er-- the other one-- what's his name? Oh yeah! MiniBen! I mean, Harry.



Harry, by the way, can spell his own name. I would give all the credit to the trusty TV babysitter, but he doesn't watch any shows about anyone named Harry. So maybe his real life babysitter taught him?

He's really smart. I know everybody says that about their kids, so take it with a grain of salt. But sometimes, he creeps me out with his skillz. Luckily, he still calls a banana a "blahblahblahblahblah," and when he says "Night night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite," he adds "Nipple nipple dop," instead of "nibble, nibble, nibble." Those are the only baby words he has left, though. He's extremely conversational. Today, I asked him what his teachers said a school, and he responded, "They say, 'No Harry. It's circle time, not toy time.'" Then he screeched to mimic a whistle blowing and said, "Clean up! Everybody clean up so we can go outside!" Yesterday, Ben put a Cat in the Hat T-shirt on him, and Harry chirped, "The sun did not shine all that cold, cold wet day."

Sometimes I forget he's only a baby. But then he craps his diaper, and I am reminded rather rudely.


Uncle Ben was in town a couple of weeks ago to hang out with Harry, who had a fabulous time trashing his room with his uncle.


But as you can see, Harry is pretty hard to photograph these days. He never stays still-- not even long enough for the camera to flash.



Walking to the car from his classroom today, I wondered if maybe I take him for granted. Some of the other moms-- the ones with only one kid-- seem much more doting and interested than I do. I spent my whole morning buying him clothes and only picked up a few widdle itty bitty baby things-- that counts for interest, right? And when he wakes up, I will spend my afternoon before Ben comes home (come home soon! save me! saaaaaave meeeee!) building towers with card board bricks. I let him bake cookies yesterday even though I am trying not to don my usual cellulite long johns this winter because he asked if we had "cookie makes."

Oh Harry. I love him so much I'll board his plastic pirate boat any day.

By the way, Dora, thanks a lot for teaching Harry how to count in Spanish. You are an excellent TV babysitter.

5 comments:

  1. I guess that does explain the Harry/Jack picture ratio - the one that doesn't sit or stand still doesn't get his picture taken often! Although I do like the action shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, sweet boy!! I always feel like I'm showing someone too much attention. Tonight I let Charlie eat dinner in my lap and kissed his head about six thousand times.

    I love the Cat in the Hat story! How cool is Harry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:53 PM

    When we were reading TCitH (2) Harry really paid attention to the story and the illustrations! He likes that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. A lot of my daughter's friends are only children and sometimes when I see the way their parents are with them, it makes me feel like I don't give the little V-meister the attention she deserves. But she will always, always have a special place in my heart - and a little brother, who I'm hoping she'll grow to appreciate more every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dora has taught Ethan to shout "Ayudame! Ayudame! Help! Help!" at the grocery store when i walk away from the cart. I'm pretty sure someone will call CPS on me at some point.

    Or wait. Is that Dora or Diego? My child has many TV babysitters. ::hanging head in shame::

    ReplyDelete