Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

OMG. Ben has been in San Francisco for meetings this week (well, Thursday and Friday, but it sounds more dramatic if I say this week-- it also sounds cuter to say Fran Franfrisco like Harry does), so I have been alone with the demons (and by alone, I mean, I have had Jamie for several hours both days, and Ben came home yesterday afternoon), and that little sojourn of semi-solo parenting gave me a good dose of perspective.

Because seriously? I am lost without this guy

who totally looked just like that when I met him at Bradley University's SFI in 1995.

It's more than having someone to share the poop and the crumbs and the screams and the post-dinner-pre-to-mid-bath meltdowns with-- it's having that perfect someone.
So, IHO Father's Day, here are some old pictures of us before poop, crumbs, screams, and completely heinous nightly tantrums (from kids, anyway):
In college-- who DIDN'T have a nasty black futon, really? (although Ben also had an old wood-framed couch upholstered in brown faux fur under which he stored a giant plastic box of high calorie sweets. Sophomore 25, here I came.

We're at my parent's house watching via web cam our friends (and Ben's roomies) Doug and Misty getting married in Vegas.

Here we are on our last pre-kid trip anywhere, in Boston for NCA. I was 8 weeks pregnant with Harry, and I brought my first ultrasound photo (procured the day before) with because we couldn't stop looking at it.

Happy Father's Day to a terrific dad and my favorite person in the world.

(Some people have a lucky fishing hat; Ben has a lucky labor hat.)


Anonymous said...

lucky both of you to have found each other and lucky us to be related to your wonderful group....Bomma

Becca said...

That was so nice! You guys make a great family. Isn't it fun to look back at the pre-kid pictures?

AJU5's Mom said...

I think the old pictures of the two of you are so cute! You both have changed quite a bit over the years.

sarah said...

what a great post!! I love it!