Friday, January 27, 2012

The sun!

The sun came out today for the first time in forever, and I feel more optimistic.  And I just spent over $100 on bottle accessories at Target because OF COURSE the kid only likes the most expensive bottles on the shelves OF COURSE.  Also I got a bottle warmer because last night, I tried to mix a half breast milk/ half formula bottle at 3 am and it was a giant cluster.  And also, he didn't want to eat-- just to come in bed with me and snuggle because he had already nursed but of course I am paranoid that he is not getting enough. OF COURSE I am.

So, last night, he sat with us at dinner and we gave him a tablespoon of rice cereal mixed with an ounce of formula, and he liked it.  Then before bed, he nursed on 1 side, cried at the other, and ate 3 ounces of a 4 ounce bottle that was 3 parts breastmilk to one part formula. (and slept from 6:30 until 3 am)   And I fed him the bottle!  Tommee Tippee and faster flow nipples for the win!

I am sure that we will work out a breastmilk/formula compromise that works for us, lets me nurse, and lets him stay fat and happy.  But it is a little stressful in the meantime when he is crying for food he can't have (breastmilk) or over food he doesn't want (anything in a bottle).

It was not my plan to start solids at 4.5 months, but we'll spend a week on rice and a week on oatmeal, and add in purees when he is 5 months old.  And then, it'll be no time before he's eating YoBaby and all kinds of other stuff.  And I know that solids are mainly for practice, but we might as well start practicing now.

Definitely feel better over here, but still not a lot of milk.  So weird.


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are feeling better about things. James was always a super-hungry baby too and we gave him all kinds of things between 5-6 months that the pediatrician told me not to (pears, apples, bananas). He was just SO HUNGRY. Why would you not want to feed your baby? Argh, that was frustrating!

    He's such a cute little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for informative post. I am pleased sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar posts just to find what I was looking for. Just I want to say: Thank you!
    breastfeeding drinks

    ReplyDelete