Sunday, August 30, 2015

Squeezing some fun out of summer's last gasp

Tomorrow I am on my own with the kids from the minute they open their eyes until the babysitter comes over mid-morning so I can run to school for a meeting that was scheduled at the last possible moment.  We don't normally have childcare um AT ALL because we make it a point to never have to be at the office at the same time.  So, as you might imagine, I don't do well with meetings scheduled at the last minute.  Before the sitter comes over, I have to exercise for 60 minutes, make and clean up breakfast, do an put away the day's laundry and make sure I vacuum the laundry room because there is dirt all over the floor, but I was too tired to do it before coming to bed.  Oh!  And!  I have a one-hour webinar for the book fair I am charing at the kids' school at the end of the month, so I pretty much have to do all that shit by 9:30.  Then after my meeting, the kids and I are making granola bars until Ben gets home at which time I have to go meet with the kids' school principal about the 5K the PTO is running next month.  Then (oh yes, there's more), we plan to pack a picnic and go to the pool, me and 75% of the kids while Jack has soccer practice, and then the whole fam after.  GAH.

My week working at the office was lovely.

I was home all day Thursday but I didn't have a chance to catch my breath let alone blog because Dolly had a drop-in hour in her cute little preschool classroom; it was back-to-school night for Cooper's class, and Harry had his meet-the-teacher conference (Jack's was Monday).

My cookie curse is over!  I think my oven was just not hot enough.  I cooked these babies at 375 for like 9 minutes, and they were barely done, so I left them on the cookie sheet to finish cooking, and they were so amazingly soft and chewy and wonderful.  I actually took 5.5 dozen to work for my TAs, and they were GONE by lunch.
 Obviously, she wore her favorite outfit to her preschool drop in, ad she carried her cheapy Target Frozen back pack.  I wanted to get her a cute little monogrammed backpack like all the boys have, but she was determined to get Elsa and Anna.
 She had SO MUCH FUN.   As much fun as she thought she would, even.  Especially since she got to wear her Stride Rite Elsa and Anna shoes that I told her she couldn't wear until school started and she calls her "preschool shoes."  No way will I be able to talk her into Mary Janes with her Matilda Jane first-official-day-of-school dress.


 Another not-relaxing thing I did on Thursday was take this joker to Stride Rite.  All the other kids were happy with their Zappos back-to-school shoes, but Cooper HATED his.  He detests sneakers and socks, but his school thinks Crocs are unsafe on the playground (**cough** bullshit **cough**), and it;s not quite cold enough for Uggs yet, so.
 Dolly is in a state of constant mess-making.  I remember this phase.
 On Saturday, we drove to Norridge to visit Ben's grandma, and she made us a delicious lunch.  The kids loved the "fried" chicken in the oven and the jello with oranges and of course the red white and blue cake.

 Today, we hurried up and did all of our Sunday chores and packed an appetizer picnic and headed to a local brewery that was featuring bands to benefit women's healthcare in Ethiopia, and Russ Feingold was there!!
 Dorothy was so happy our friends brought Pirate Booty.
 Cooper wanted to run free with the big kids, but he's such a shy guy.  He was my buddy most of the time, and he adored going up to the bar to buy a root beer.
 Dorothy found two little girls to dance with and spent the whole time in heaven on the dance floor.
 I didn't even SEE Harry and Jack unless they wanted money for root beer, pizza, ice cream, or s-mores.

We dropped by a park on the way home, and we all had a great time, obvs.






I already told you that tomorrow is busy, but we also start school on Tuesday (Harry and Jack), Wednesday (babies), and Thursday (me!), so I'll be back a lot.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm dying to hear the story of how Dorothy became Dolly!

    ReplyDelete