Wednesday, December 02, 2015

November: What I Read

9  The Man Who Wasn't There: Investigations into the Strange New Science of the Self by Anil Ananthaswamy:  I kind of hate this style of journalism where writers connect a bunch of vignettes about different areas and name it a new kind of meta-science.  I mean, none of the researchers would think of themselves in dialogue with other researchers mentioned in the book, so why should we se them as part of a larger conversation that doesn't really exist?  So confusing.

8.  Two Years, Eight Months, and Twenty-Eight Nights by Salman Rushdie:  Blah.  And blah some more.

7.  Slade House by David Mitchell:  Scary!

6.  A Manual for Cleaning Women by Lucia Berlin:  I didn't love every story in this book, but most of them were fantastic.  How have I never read her before? (She's no longer living, and this book is a new edited collection with an excellent introduction).

5.  Depraved Heart by Patricia Cornwell:  We have talked before about how I am a sucker for Kay Scarpetta

4.  All-of-a-Kind-Family by Sydney Taylor:  I read this with Jack, and I was happy to find that it was just as good as it was when I was a kid.

3.  Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf:  Another author who is dead and wonderful-- how did I never read him before now?  Such a spare, sad, sweet book.

2.  The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin:  You should probably just go ahead and read this.  Wonderful.

1.  The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard:  I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE MOVIE.


No comments:

Post a Comment