Friday, September 01, 2017

August: What I Read


Kid Books

15.  The Hooples' Horrible Holiday by Stephen Manes:  I loved this strange little book when I was little, so I ordered it for the kids, and they loved it, too.  A nice surprise.
14.  The Martian by Andy Weir:  We listened to this in the car and loved it.  We have all seen the movie, but the book was OF COURSE way better.

Thrillers

13.  Final Girls by Riley Sager:  This is a just-ok thriller.  I really don't recommend it, although the blurb REALLY does.
12.  Everything You Want me to Be by Mindy Mejia:  A totally meh thriller.  Better than Final Girls but not much.
11. The Breakdown by BA Paris:  Another totally fine thriller.  That's my theme of the month.
10.  Into the Water by Paula Hawkins:  I wanted this to be so much better than it was.
9.  Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown:  LOVED this one-- a really engrossing story that kept me guessing until the end.

Family Stories

8.  Our Little Racket by Angelica Baker:  I read this in the car while listening to Ready Player One, so I feel like I didn't engage as deeply as I could.  As a result, I didn't love the characters, but the story was nicely paced.
7.  The Heirs by Susan Reiger:  The characters in this book are very well drawn, and the pacing is really good.  I liked this one a lot, but I am a sucker for a good family drama.
6.  The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor:  This is a weird, sweet little book.
5.  The People We Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder:  This book was snarky and charming, and I loved the characters.  Read it.

The Top Four

4.  How Not to hate Your Husband After Kids by Jancee Dunn:  I wanted to like this more than I did, but still.  Important conversations.
3.  Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy:  I started this book at 10:15 or so one night and stayed up until 12;45 finishing it because I could not put it down.  SO GOOD.
2.  Theft by Finding by David Sedaris:  YES.
1.  Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman: THIS IS A WONDERFUL BOOK.  Read it.  Right now.  WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?


No comments:

Post a Comment