Sunday, October 01, 2017

September: What I Read

Kid Book

Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary:  This is like the Platonic ideal of a kid book.  Dorothy and Cooper were delighted with it.  We have a couple more on our list, but we plan to read Ellen Tebbits soon.


Work Books

Rhetoric Retold by Cheryl Glenn: If you want to find a place for women's voices when you talk about ancient Greek rhetoric, then you should read this.
We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie:  This will only take you a minute.  READ IT.
Feminism Is For Everybody by bell hooks:  THIS BOOK.  I am in love.  Worldview altering.  And that's me as a feminist.  If you aren't one, then I cannot even imagine how earth-shattering and paradigm-redefining it would be for you.  BUY THIS.


Fun Work Books

Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud by Ann Helen Petersen:  An excellent read.  Each chapter is named for a celebrity who is too something-- HRC is too shrill, for example.  It's smart, entertaining, and galvanizing.
What Happened by Hillary Clinton:  Is say fun because I did read this for pleasure, not for the class I am teaching next semester, although I WILL also use this book in class.  But this book made me cry every time I picked it up and took the better part of the month to read.  You should read it.  But still.


Fun Books

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher:  Nope.
Difficult Women by Roxanne Gay:  LOVE.
Goodbye Vitamin by Rachel Khong:  This was charming and sad and funny, a really good combo.
No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie Powell Watts:  Such an engaging story of a family, and Ava is a GREAT character.
The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson: I am a sucker for this writer. If you haven't read her yet, I recommend her audiobooks-- she reads them herself, and she's lovely.  This is the first one I have read as opposed to listen to, and I could hear her voice.
Careers for Women by Joanna Scott:  READ THIS!!  It's completely brilliant.
See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt:  About Lizzie Borden.  NEED I SAY MORE?

The BEST book this month was Henry Huggins, but What Happened was a close second.  You should read it, even if it makes you cry.  As usual, the media got it all wrong-- the book is NOT about blame and not about Bernie.  It IS about our country's determined march to authoritarianism.  Which might be less fun to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment