Tuesday, January 02, 2018

What I Read: December

This was clearly my best reading month of the year.  My tied-for-2 and my number 1 are both on my best of 2017 list.  And any other year, books 8-4 would have been there, too.  Even the books I didn't completely adore this month are critically acclaimed and were good reads.  Mostly.  December was a magical reading month.  And the amazing thing?  Is that my bookshelf is BURSTING with things to read in January.  I cannot WAIT!!!

Here's my last ranked list of 2017:

Skip it

11. Forest Dark by Nicole Krauss:  I loved her other books, so I kept plodding through this one, but just don't.

Read it

10. Heather, the Totality by Matthew Weiner:  I literally read this one day on the elliptical to clear my head after a day of Urban and Erdrich.  A good palate cleanser.

9. ReadingWith Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship by Michelle Kuo:  I liked this book, but I don't really know why it's so buzzy, if that makes sense.

8. Refuge by Dina Nayeri:  This was a great story and a fast read with characters I cannot get out of my head. I really recommend it.

Read it SOON, like click over to your library window, and put it on hold

7. The Misfortune of Marion Palm by Emily Culliton:  I think this book was a little bit over-written, but I liked it anyway.  It's really, really funny in a dark way, and I loved some of the characters.

6. Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin:  This author is astonishingly versatile.  I like all of her books, and they are all distinct.  This one is sweet and funny and a quick read.

Next time you have a mystery craving, read this

5.  The Lying Game by Ruth Ware:  I love all of her books.  This one is great.

If you went to grad school READ THIS RIGHT NOW. 

4.  Chemistry by Weike Wang:  Oh, this is sad and so, so funny.  It really captures the insanity of grad school.

THESE AE AMAZING WORKS OF LITERATURE

2. The Power by Naomi Alderman:  READ THIS so we can talk about it.

2. Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich: WOW.  This book!  YES.  READ IT.

1. Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward:  This book is wonderful and sad and perfect.  I loved every word, even the ones that made me cry or recoil.  Even the bad guys are complicated.




No comments:

Post a Comment