Saturday, September 01, 2018

What I Read: August

Okay, you guys.  The BEST thing I read this month was the ENTIRE Harry Potter series.  It's impossible to beat these books.  But, I mean, I tried.

Also, can I just say that reading the HP series from beginning to end was amazing and something I have never done.  I read the books TWENTY YEARS AGO (19, but who's counting) when they first came out, but there was an ETERNITY between each book, and it has been a perfect summer indulgence to close one book and open the next.  I immediately began book 7 again the moment I finished it.  I AM OBSESSSED

Harry Potter (7)
For fun, I will rank them from least to most favorite:

Chamber of Secrets
Sorcerer's Stone
Prisoner of Azkaban 
Half Blood Prince
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Deathly Hallows

I have to know!  How do you rank the series?

POETRY (3)
Black Girl Magic by Mahogany L. Browne:  Everyone should read this, probably.
Virgin by Analicia Sotelo:  Awesome.
Wade in the Water by Tracy K. Smith: READ THIS BOOK!  It is a wonder.  I loved how she slipped back and forth between autobiography and sacred documents.

Nonfiction (3)

Orphan Train Rider by Andrea Warren: This was really interesting and a window into a sliver of history I knew nothing about.
To the New Owners: A Martha's Vineyard Memoir by Madeline Blais: I wanted to like this more than I did.  The namedropping was the best part, aside from the guest book logs, which were wonderful.
Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Start Up by John Carreyrou:  FASCINATING.  Read it!

Fiction

12. How to Be Famous by Caitlin Moran:  I wanted Jay McInerney.
11. Never Let You Go by Chevy Stevens:  Totally blah and predictable thriller.
10. Little Big Love by Katy Regan: This was sweet and touching, but flawed. Jojo Moyes lite.  Way lite.
9. The Comedown by Rebekah Frumkin:  This book was really funny but hard to keep track of in the car.
8. The Dirty Book Club by Lisi Harrison: So cute!  Read it on the beach in a couple of hours.
7. The Outsider by Stephen King:  I wanted more Mr. Mercedes and less supernatural, but it was still a page-turner.  And I love Holly, what can I say?
6. The Perfect Couple by Elin Hiderbrand:  I am a fan of this beach read queen.  Unabashed.
5. The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani:  SO SAD and tense.
4. All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin: I used to follow her on social media, but then I noticed she was really proud of how much she liked Chik Fil A, and I just couldn't even.  So, I decided to read this book ON THE SURFACE ONLY, and she is a really engaging writer.
3. The Wife by Meg Wolitzer:  This is an old book, but it's new to me and so great.
2. Alternative Remedies for Loss by Joanna Cantor:  This is wonderful. The characters are like real people, and I loved the plot.  Read this sad  and funny little book.
1. Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage:  If you liked The Bad Seed, you will LOVE this.  And if you haven't read The Bad Seed, what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment