Monday, April 01, 2019

March: What I Read

I read A TON for my fall class, so let me start with those because they aren't my usual reads:

19.  Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich:  This book starts with the story behind the famous quotation and continues to be history-light and totally charming.
18.  A History of US Feminisms by Rory C. Dicker:  I am thinking about having my students buy this one-- it a good primer on feminist waves and solid background information for everyone to have before I problematize the metaphor.
17.  No Permanent Waves: Recasting Histories of US Feminism edited by Nancy A Hewitt:  Speaking of problematizing the waves...
16.  When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America by Paula Giddings:  Excellent.
15.  Ida: A Sword Among Lions by Paula Giddings:  Loved this one!
14.  Words of Fire: An Anthology of African American Feminist Thought edited by Beverly Guy Sheftall:  I got this on the recommendation of a visiting grad student, and it did not disappoint
13.  "Doers of the Word" : African American Women Speakers and Writers in the North 1830-1880 by Carla L. Peterson:  So fascinating and really nicely grounded in theory that is applicable to rhetoric.
12.  The Grimké Sisters from South Carolina: Pioneers for Women's Rights and Abolition by Gerda Lerner:  THIS BOOK is a master class on how to do feminist history.  My goodness.

I also sort of enjoyed this memoir:

11. How to Be Loved: A Memoir of a Life-Saving Friendship by Eva Hagberg Fisher:  I am always interested in a story about a woman with a weird illness who can't get a doctor to tale her seriously.

And then, of course, the fictions

10.  Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott:  NOPE.
9. Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah:  The first story was awesome, but then I lost the thread
8. Elsey Come Home by Susan Conley:  Such a strange, spare little story.
7.  The Suspect by Fiona Barton:  Serviceable.
6. For Better and Worse by Margot Hunt:  A good little page-turner
5.  The Alice Network by Kate Quinn:  This was for book club, otherwise I never would have picked it up.
4.  The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon:  YA.  The good kind.
3.  The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict: Hedy Lamarr, inventor and genius-- loved this one!
2. Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken:  This was so weird and good.
1.  The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker: READ THIS RIGHT NOW.

I am at 59 for the year! This might be a record for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment