Monday, June 01, 2020

May: What I Read

I READ THE BEST BOOKS THIS MONTH!

Like, this month was what I intended to magic in to existence every month when I decided to only read 100 books this year. I thought I could read fewer, better books. It took me almost half the year, but I have finally hit this stride, and the books I have lined up for June are also fantastic!

Part of this is that I finally figured out how to make the best of the library's curbside system, and part of it is that I bit the bullet and just started buying books again, which I haven't done since 2013 when I first set an audacious reading goal.

Anyway, Goodreads tells me I am one book ahead of schedule and have logged a measly 42 books this year. Here are my excellent May books, in order, of course, of their excellence.

The Grace Kelly Dress by Brenda Janowitz: I like this book, but it had 3 separate story lines, and I was only really into one of them.

Something She's Not Telling Us by Darcy Bell: A great, kicky little thriller.  I read it in the hammock.  Did not regret it.

Most Likely by Sarah Watson: I did not know this was a YA book when I made the grown ass adult members of my virtual book club buy it, but I freaking LOVED IT by the end. Total feminist fantasy story.

Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane: LOVED this, but it is a 2019 book, so it won't count for the books of the year ** sad trombone**. I read it because I have been reading the Girl Next Door podcast quarterly book club books, and I recommend both their picks and the episodes where they discuss the books.

Wow, No Thank You by Samantha Irby: I love her, and these essays were as fantastic as her other
books. This is perfect shelter-in-place reading for sure.

Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler: A new Anne Tyler?!?!? Oh, how wonderful.

Separation Anxiety by Laura Zigman: Oh, this sweet, sad, funny, and weird little book. What a delight!

The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd: THIS IS WONDERFUL, you guys. As you might remember, I also lost my ever loving mind over The Invention of Wings, too, but this one is even better. I was hooked from the very first page. Basically, what I am saying is READ IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment