Wednesday, July 01, 2020

June: What I Read

SOM E GREAT BOOKS!!! And there are MOAR on my nightstand!!

And! FINALLY! I am ahead of my reading challenge goal, which, PHEW!!

Seriously,  Book of the Month Club membership has made reading new books even easier, given limited library services and everything. I highly recommend this club!! (Also I hope libraries always offer curbside pick up because as much as I like to browse, sometimes I just want to be in and out.)

If you are going to skip any, skip these:

11. The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia by Emma Copley Eisenberg: I WANTED to really like this one, but it was kind of boring, and the author's own perspective was really disjointed.

10. Here for it: Or How to Save Your Soul in America by R. Eric Thomas: His Elle.con essays are terrific and hilarious, and so is this book.

9. Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women that a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall: I will  absolutely assign this next time I teach my campaigns and revolutions class.

Do not, like rush within 6 feet of others to get a copy, but these were good:


8. My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russel: I usually really like books where the main character is unlikable,  but this time. I could not get over how much I didn't like her. Or any of them.

7. The Silence by Susan Allott: This timeline-jumper was a good mystery with lots of tension, and it was an ideal pool read. I did not LOVE it, but I liked it.

6. Chances Are by Richard Russo: A Russo that missed the mark! He tried ti throw in some mystery, and there were glimpses if his old characters and their perfect dialogue but this one just did not do it for me.

5. Real Life by Brandon Taylor: This is about grad students at UW (thinly disguised), and it grew on me. I wanted to love love it, but I ended up just liking it.


These are great, and you should read them right now.


4. Catherine House by Elisabeth Thomas: SO CREEPY and gripping, and I think the ending is sad, but you could think it's happy-- love that in a book!

3. Happy and You Know It by Laura Hankin: IDEAL summer read. A takedown of rich mommy culture and Insta influencer moms-- loved it!

2. The Resisters by Gish Jen: Dystopia, feminism, baseball, a killer critique of disaster capitalism-- this book has it all!

1. The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich: LOVED THIS, and the title has multiple registers of meaning throughout. It would be a terrific book for a book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment