Saturday, February 01, 2014

January: What I Read

I optimistically thought I would finish this horrifying self-help fear-of-flying book I was reading.  It is HILARIOUSLY bad and keeps bringing up new things for me to fear, like planes colliding in midair, terrorists sneaking over fences and hiding in wheel wells with bombs, pilots falling asleep at the wheel, wings missing screws, and an awful, awful anecdote about people being sucked out a faulty door and free-falling 22,000 feet into the Pacific.

Anywho, here's what I did read:

12.  Moving Miss Peggy: A Story of Dementia, Courage, and Consolation by Robert Benson:  A very sweet and lovely memoir.
11.  Family Pictures by Jane Green:  Predictable and not very artful, but a quick and entertaining read.
10.  Close my Eyes by Sophie McKenzie:  A serviceable thriller.  Liked it.
9.  The Mothers by Jennifer Gilmore:  Very well written story of marriage and adoption-- a really moving and beautiful ending.
8.  Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris:  A classic.  Damn he's funny.
7.  Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld:  A rental find at the library-- this book was a great read and easy to finish on an 8-hour car ride.
6.  Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michel Moss:  Read this!  It's a great expose.  Moves beyond the argument that processed food is bad to really interrogate the insidious industry.
5.  Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding:  I loved this book even though it kind of sucked.  I missed Bridget, what can I say?
4.  The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg:  I love this author.  I even cried a little at the end.
3.  Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl: SO GOOD!  READ IT!
2.  Labor Day by Joyce Maynard:  This was gorgeous and a quick read-- I cannot wait to see the move now (but first I will take all the boys to the Lego movie)
1.  Doctor Sleep by Stephen King:  Oh, this!  This was the Stephen King I used to love in 5th grade!

The top 3 were pretty much a tie-- really great reads!  And the Pessl totally reminded me of Donna Tartt, so imagine how happy I was to find The Goldfinch on the rental shelf at the library.  Best $2 I spent last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment