Sunday, November 01, 2015

October: What I Read

9.  Purity by Jonathan Franizen:  Blah.  Did not like.  And once I figured out what was going on well enough to know which characters to pay attention to,  just sort of hated the plot and the people.

8.  Survive the Night by Danielle Vega:  I am not sure how this ended up on my library list.  It was total teen schlock.

7.  Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald:  I loved these books when I was a kid, but this one was not as good as I remembered.  I requested the original in the series (this is book 4), so we'll see f it's better.  Jack and Cooper LOVED this book.

6.  Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh:  So weird and gross and taut.

5.  Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little:  Enjoyable crap, made even more enjoyable because it takes place in South Dakota, and I can totally picture some of the places from our spring break road trip.

4.  Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon:  Another teen book (?).  I read it in a 70-minute stint on the elliptical and liked it, but it's trying too hard to be John Green.

3.  Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin:  Oh, this was worth the wait.  I have a lot to say about this book-- so much that a habits post is percolating.  I recommend this one for sure.

2.  Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson:  OH MY GOD.  And then after I read this awesome book and discussed it with my brilliant students, I got to hear the author delivery a keynote speech that was also AMAZING.  This is a must-read.

1.  Blubber by Judy Blume:  The only 5-star book on my list this month, so I guess it wins.  Really, though, this book was as perfect as I remember.  When I read it, I can remember what eating lunch at school smelled like, what riding the bus smelled like, and how it feels to walk outside on a fall night. Reading this book was like hanging out with my 8-10 year-old self again.


No comments:

Post a Comment