Friday, April 01, 2016

March: What I Read


12.  The Only Woman in the Room:  Why Science Is Still A Boys' Club by Eileen Pollack:  The title of this book says it all.  It was not as satisfying as I wanted it to be-- the author's perspective was a bit muddied and sour grapes-y, but it was a really interesting read.

11.  Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson:  I know most people love this book to no end, but I just didn't think it was that funny.  I KNOW.

10.  American Housewife:  Stories by Helen Ellis:  Adorable and a quick read.

9.  The Grown Up by Gillian Flynn: Not really a book, just a short story published as a stand-alone.  But its good.

8.  Wreck and Order by Hannah Tennant-Moore:  I read this book right after my #1 pick, so I didn't really like it very much, but I bet it was actually really good.  I just had book hangover, you know?

7.  Negroland:  A Memoir by Margo Jefferson:  This.  Is.  Awesome.

6.  The Widow by Fiona Barton:  Super creepy-- I read it on the way to my parents' house one day, and it made the ride fly by.

5.  Unslut:  A Diary and a Memoir by Emily Lindin:  Read this!!  Fascinating.  It make me wish I saved my old diaries.

4.  Work Like Any Other by Virginia Reeves:  Wow this is good!  Not my usual kind of story-- set in rural 1920s Alabama, a male protagonist, etc.  But it was wonderful!!

3.  The High Dive by Jonathan Lee: SO GOOD.  They backstory of an attempted assassination of Margaret Thatcher in 1984-- wonderful characters and brilliant pacing.

2.  When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi:  The hype you have heard about this book is true.  IT'S TRUE!!!

1.  A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara:  This is the best book ever.  EVER.  But it is really sad and kind of excessive.  All of the criticisms of this book are true, but it is still AMAZING amazing amazing.  I LOVED IT SO MUCH.  It's kind of brutal, though, so you might want to read it really fast.

3 comments:

  1. When Breath Becomes Air -- I will never forget that book as long as I live. Read it on your rec, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Wreck and Order! I demand a re-read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do an amazing job reading lady authors which is SO BADASS. i always stock my to-read list with your monthly recs.

    ReplyDelete