Monday, May 02, 2016

April: What I read

For reason that I will whine and complain about next time (LUCKY YOU), I have no idea how I even read anything in April.  But, apparently, I did.

10.  Cold, Cold Heart by Tami Hoag: A totally serviceable thriller.

9.  Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter:  Beat out the Hoag by a sliver, but it's the same kind of book (that I have a total weakness for).

8.  13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad:  I liked this but did not love it.  I did love Awad's voice-- so refreshing and smart and funny.

7.  I'm Glad About you by Theresa Rebeck:  This was a quick read, kind of trashy and really, really entertaining.
 
6.  What She Knew by Gilly MacMillan:  A way better than average thriller.  I hope it's a movie STAT.

5.  The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeny:  A great story with wonderful characters, but I felt the whole time like it was trying too hard to make me like these people.  They reminded me of Wes Anderson people but not as lovable.

4.  Tuesday Nights in 1980 by Molly Prentiss:  This was great!  It's got to be so hard to write about art in a way that's really interesting, but I loved this book and all the sad, flawed people in it.

3.  Alice and Oliver by Charles Bock:  This is HEAVY, but the very last chapter made it all worthwhile-- what a great story.

2.  Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes: I read the second book in the series first because that's the way the library holds came in, but I am going to read the first one anyway because DAMN.  This is great and you should read it right away.

1.  Evicted:  Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond:  My school picked this book for our common reading program, and I totally supported that decision because WOW.  There are some flaws, and if you read it, we should talk about them.

I am up to 39 books for the quarter-- not too bad.  Last year I was up to 56 books already, so there's that. In 2014, I had already broken 40, and in 2013, I had already read 49.  I have some catching up to do, apparently!




No comments:

Post a Comment