Monday, August 01, 2016

July: What I Read

A Mother's Reckoning:  In the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Kliebold:  YIKES.  This book was sad and also really defensive.  If I had a book club, I'd want everybody to read this so we could figure it out together.

The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan:  Look, everybody but me loves this book, so maybe I am just not smart enough.

First Comes Love by Emily Giffin:  A solid meh.

Life and Other Near Death Experiences by Camille Pagan: I didn't want to like this book because it was kind of trite at first, but it grew on me.

Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West: I really loved this book until 3/4 of the way through and then I just loved it.

The Assistants by Camille Perri:  A great quick read about money, power, and revenge.

Best To Laugh by Lorna Landvik:  I LOVE HER SO MUCH.  Discovering that she wrote a book I;d never read was like Christmas in July, and this one was funny and touching and great about old Hollywood and lady comics.

Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee:  It took me a week or so to read this book, but I really loved loved it!  It's about a 19th-century opera singer and courtesan in Paris and is lovely and sad and haunting.  But also really long.




No comments:

Post a Comment