Saturday, December 02, 2017

November: What I Read

I have to tell you, I didn't think I read very many books this month, but 12 is a pretty good number.  A surprising number, actually.  And I hit the library holds jackpot yesterday, so I think December is going to be well-read, too.

Nope

12. It Happens in the Hamptons by Holly Peterson:  I loved the cover of this book, and you guys, that really is how I usually pick them because I really am that shallow.  But no.

11. The Lost Ones by Sheena Kamal: I was really excited about this one because it is the first in a new series of tough but wounded FBI (type) ladies, but I just didn't love it.

Someday you should look at these

10. A Uterus Is a Feature, Not a Bug by Sarah Lacy:  I just reviewed this yesterday, dude.

9. Lady Killers by Tori Telfer :  Oh I wanted this to be so much awesome-r than it was!  I wanted to hear about US killers (I KNOW-- my feminism is intersectional though you guys I swear) and more contemporary ones at that.  I also wanted a bit of feminist theory here or at least a discussion, say, about WHY poison was such a common method or why all these medieval ladies liked to beat people to death.  And I mean a SUSTAINED conversation.

If you have time

8. The Whole Way Home by Sarah Creech:  Schlocky but in a really entertaining way

7. How to Live a Good Life by Jonathan Fields:  I wrote about this one on Madison Moms Blog-- really liked it, but I did not use it like a workbook, which is what the author wanted me to do.

6. The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman:  I will forever love Practical Magic, but this was no Sandra Bullock movie, you know?

Put them on your list, but don't rush to read these if you have other stuff in the wings.  Read them, though, someday, because they're good.

5. My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout:  I loved the other Strout book on my list so much that I ran to the library immediately upon finishing it- like I turned the last page, realized Lucy Barton was the same Lucy Barton, and grabbed my car keys.  Then I sat down and read this book in one sitting.

4. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid:  This is a wonderful read-- quick, breezy, so entertaining, and packs a punch at the (predictable) end.

READ THESE RIGHT NOW!!

3. Fierce Kingdom by Gin Phillips: THIS IS THE SCARIEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ.  If you read it, and I clearly think you should, be sure to read the author's blog post about the ending.  WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WITH THE BOOK, CHEATER.

2. Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout: Oh, wow!  This book is gorgeous and so, so, so sad.  Not an extra syllable here-- she's a wonderful writer.

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng:  This is the inaugural pick for my brand new book club, and I can't wait to talk about it with real live people.  I loved it-- you will, too, I think.  Great characters, captivating story, lots of rich detail.  WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?




1 comment:

  1. Yay, I love your book lists. 2 of them are already on my hold list, Fierce Kingdom and Little Fires Everywhere. I am glad to hear that you liked them both. I am nervous about the ending of Fierce Kingdom as I have heard different things reviews on the ending.

    ReplyDelete