Tuesday, May 01, 2018

April: What I Read

At the end of April, I have read 78 books.  REALLY?!

Some good ones this month, I promise:

Maybe read these

17. The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn:  This was amazing and vintage and good character research because I have a really good idea for my next novel!!  But, don't expect to get actual tips, you guys.  Unless you are into writing letters to replace your long distance calls.

16. People Like Us by Dana Mele:  YA thriller-- liked it a lot!

15. The Girls in the Picture by Melanie Benjamin:  I so wanted to love this one, but, alas.

14. Sometimes I lie by Alice Feeney:  Big twist.  Didn't see it coming because I only halfway paid attention when reading.  Read this one!  Quickly!  So the plot will seem trickier!

13. Neon in Daylight by Hermione Hoby:  I liked this.  The stories of the main characters are artfully intertwined, and all of the people are flawed but alluring.  I wanted more of a Mcinerny gritty New York feel, but I didn't really get that.  Worth a look, though.

Blood pressure-wise, these were bad choices.  But they're goooood.

12. Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump Whitehouse by Michael Wolff:  YIKES YIKES YIKES.  I have sort of committed to the 2016 campaign books as a genre, but holy shit you guys.  I thought this would be a quick skim, but I gave it a painfully close reading because it was HORRIFYING.

11. Unbelievable: My Front Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur:  This is a good campaign tell-all, you guys.  And I kind of feel better knowing Katy Tur is on the case.

Shut up.  I know.  I know.

10. From Dissertation to Book by William Germano:  Everything your advisor would tell you if you still had an advisor after you got your PhD.

These are all quick reads that will entertain you FOR SURE

9. Look for Me by Lisa Gardner:  I am a huge sucker for Lisa Gardner, the woman who saved me from a nervous breakdown when I had postpartum insomnia, and this 9th DD Warren book does not disappoint.

8. The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn:  YES!  This lives up to its buzz for sure.

7. Indecent by Corrine Sullivan: Prep school!  A narrator who has not idea how other people see her!  A fast-paced plot where not very much happens (my favorite kind).  I loved this!

6. True Stories from an Unreliable Eye Witness: A Feminist Coming of Age By Christine Lahti:  See my review here.  This is a great memoir.

A book by a dude that's also crazy amazing.

5.Stephen Florida by Gabe Habash:  What a book!  What a character!  He's a college wrestler trying to win a division 4 national title, and this book is amazing.  Probably you should go read it right now.

This month's must-reads, all in contention of my fave of the year.

4. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah:  COULD NOT put this down, but also I could see the flaws.  But seriously.  So readable.

3. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood:  I read this 5th grade, but I am pretty sure it went right over my head.  I am fairly speechless, especially after talking about it with my book club.  Shit, you guys.  Blessed be the fruit. (Also, I am calling it right now, I would want to be a Martha).

2. Between You and Me: Transitional Comics by KC Councilor:  KC is a grad student in my department, and he is about to graduate with a PhD and embark on a tenure-track career.  He is also a brilliant writer and cartoonist, and his book is wonderful.  The link takes you to his website, and you can contact him for purchasing info.  And you should purchase this book!  And yes, that's 2 books written by men this month.  I KNOW.

1. The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer:  If this Atlantic review was not enough for you, let me tell you YES READ THIS BOOK.  It's soooooo good.  Like, The Interestings good, and you all know how I felt about that.  It's about feminism and growing up and settling and I LOVED IT SO MUCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment